Friday 4 March 2011

Stuart Kolokavich Lecture

Had a really fantastic lecture today from Stuart Kolakovic, who not only is a brilliant artist, but a really nice guy too.

Here'sa summary of the best/most important bits of his lecture:

Graduated from Kingston in 2007.

During his time at Uni he played around with screenprint a lot

Produced a comic about his grandad for his final show that got him a lot of cover.

Rinse your University's facilities whilst you can

Keep your website simple

Don't be afraid to go on the Dole whilst you go show your portfolio around.

Don't be afraid to ask the AOI for pricing help.

Always phone before sending an email, asking if you can. Then phone to ask if you can take your portfolio in.

Be wary of doing work for free

Constantly work in your spare time.

Agents look after you and stop you getting ripped off.

Get a good chair to save your back.

After the lecture I got to talk to Stuart and show him my work. He was really enthusiastic but had some constructive critism for me;

my comics need to be more refined, and looking at them, I totally agree. They look far too handmade, too simple.

I should stretch what my characters can do, Stuart recommended mocking up food packaging for my food characters to go on. I was thinking I could make takeout boxes with the sushi characters on.

No comments:

Post a Comment