Sunday 20 February 2011

Tangled

I recently saw Tangled at the cinema. It's Disney's 50th film, and personally, I don't think it disappoints. I think I was more excited about the film than most as I've been waiting for it a ling time. I think I first knew about this film when I was in college, and that was ages ago.



The original idea was conceived by Glen Keane. Keane has been one of Disney's best animators for a long long time.

He was the key designer and animator for some of Disney's best characters: Aladdin, Ariel, the Beast, Tarzan.

Keane's work was essentially the reason I wanted to do animation back in the day. I would watch movies he had worked in and watch the animation of the characters intensely.


Keane conveys perfect emotion and body language, he doesn't forget the little nuances that make us human.

I have a rule, that when I love a creative movie, I buy the concept art book. And so I did for Tangled. I had to order it from America as I couldn't find it -anywhere- in the uk. The illustrations within are gorgeous, and it was a brilliant buy.







From the art book I discovered that although Keane worked in the concept art stage, he was unable to work throughout the movie. I don't know if that's polite Disney speak that he got ill or was pushed from the film (Chris Sanders (of lilo and stitch) got pushed from Bolt, causing him to leave Disney to work for dreamworks and help create How to Train your Dragon)

Either way, I loved the film, it was beautiful, funny and in my opinion, fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment